Welcome to the Global Business Advisors Forums where business leaders, owners, and advisors can interact, share ideas, celebrate successes, and build a global community of growth oriented entrepreneurs!

To join, you must apply and qualify for membership and agree to abide by our rules. A one time membership fee of $495 USD may apply. Please register and provide your contact information so we may speak to determine if this community is a good fit for you, your business, and our group.

As an SME business leader, owner, or advisor, thank you for driving one half of the gross domestic product in the top 17 countries around the world (according to the World Bank). We need you now more than ever!

I wish you much entrepreneurial success.

Phil Symchych
Founder
Global Business Advisors Forums
Please add your photo to your profile. Click on the far top right image (a circle with two dots), then select to Edit Profile, and Change My Picture.
Please be kind to others. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be respectful. We are here to learn and share.

How to run a short and effective weekly team update meeting.

First, don't update on status of projects or workflow. That's too boring for a time intensive valuable group meeting. Updates can be shared by email.

Use a group meeting to get people engaged.

Get the team engaged by having them talk about three things:

1. Their successes - describe customer wins and positive interactions and accomplishments.
  2. Challenges - talk about what they need help with to take care of the customer or do their job better. This will generate comments and help from others. Now, they're working as a team!
  3. Priorities - what are their top two or three priorities for the coming week?

The best meeting...if you must have one...is a short meeting where people are sharing what gets them excited at work, how they are helping others, and where they need help.

What are your weekly team meetings like?

Comments

• I like to have standing meetings, 15 mins or less, this keep them on target and quick.

• I use many agile tools in what I do and "Scrum" is a great tool for this. Perhaps it's because I'm a rugby guy and perhaps because its a good tool. Scrum is a stand up meeting that discusses three things: 1) What I managed to complete yesterday 2) what I am committing to complete today 3) what's getting in my way. No problem solving, discussion simply those three things. It provides great visibility across the team of what's happening and where everyone is up to. It helps alert people to other considerations which can all be discussed post scrum. 15 minutes and everyone is back to work.

1 additional rules for scrum; 1) Don't start or end the day with scrum.

• David,

Why not start the day with a scrum? Do people need to get warmed up and into the workflow first?

What are the best times for a scrum?

• Phil, Because people will often arrive at work and not get into things waiting for scrum to start or stop work before scrum if it's at the end of the day. So they sit around being unproductive under the guise of waiting for scrum before they start or finish work. Scrum is meant to be a very short break away from someone's normal work of no more than 15 minutes. Short sharp communication of what has ben completed, what will be completed and what are the blockages.

• I believe it critical to start each day with the Visual Daily Management process. I like SQDIP; Safely, quality, delivery, inventory, and production. The VDM's need to be aligned to value streams, no longer than 20 mins, and when each team member exits the meeting, they must have clear direction on what needs to be accomplished within the next few, 8, 24, and 48 hours to make the business successful.

• David, I like the perspective that the scrum is a short break from their normal work, while keeping them focused and involved with the group.

Art, the Visual idea sounds very interesting as people are inundated with ineffective and boring communications like emails all day long.