Welcome to the Global Business Advisors Forums where business leaders, owners, and advisors can interact, share ideas, celebrate successes, and build a global community of growth oriented entrepreneurs!

To join, you must apply and qualify for membership and agree to abide by our rules. A one time membership fee of $495 USD may apply. Please register and provide your contact information so we may speak to determine if this community is a good fit for you, your business, and our group.

As an SME business leader, owner, or advisor, thank you for driving one half of the gross domestic product in the top 17 countries around the world (according to the World Bank). We need you now more than ever!

I wish you much entrepreneurial success.

Phil Symchych
Founder
Global Business Advisors Forums
Please add your photo to your profile. Click on the far top right image (a circle with two dots), then select to Edit Profile, and Change My Picture.
Please be kind to others. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be respectful. We are here to learn and share.

It's tough to make a good decision when your pants are on fire.

When things go wrong and you need to problem solve and make important decisions quickly, stop. You can't. That's usually the worst time to make important decisions, especially quickly.

Our brains do not perform optimally under stress. Too much cortisol and other anxious brain chemicals. Too much juice flowing for the fight or flight response. Our arms and legs want to move and get us away from danger. Our brains are hard-wired to protect us from danger. Even if the danger is not physical but actually an unhappy client or employee.

A stressful situation is not the optimal time for thinking clearly.

From my Muay Thai training, I've learned that what is needed in this situation is a front kick. A front kick doesn't solve the problem or take out your opponent. It creates distance between you and your problem. It gives you time to get your balance and plan your next moves.

The next time you're faced with making an important decision under fire, use a front kick to give yourself time and space to make a better decision.

Comments

• In most cases business decisions are not life and death, likely 99.99% of the time. Additionally, I've never had anyone dropping bombs on my head.

We need to keep the urgency of the fire fighting culture in perspective. As Phil points out use the front kick to buy time, and to clear you head to make excellent decisions.