Welcome to the Global Business Advisors Forums where business leaders, owners, and advisors can interact, share ideas, celebrate successes, and build a global community of growth oriented entrepreneurs!

To join, you must apply and qualify for membership and agree to abide by our rules. A one time membership fee of $495 USD may apply. Please register and provide your contact information so we may speak to determine if this community is a good fit for you, your business, and our group.

As an SME business leader, owner, or advisor, thank you for driving one half of the gross domestic product in the top 17 countries around the world (according to the World Bank). We need you now more than ever!

I wish you much entrepreneurial success.

Phil Symchych
Founder
Global Business Advisors Forums
Please add your photo to your profile. Click on the far top right image (a circle with two dots), then select to Edit Profile, and Change My Picture.
Please be kind to others. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be respectful. We are here to learn and share.

Tips for Taking Care of Yourself

Cheer up, men, it could always be worse.”

Words my Dad’s sergeant told his troop before going into battle during World War II. 

In these interesting and challenging times, it is too easy to focus on what we don’t have, what we have lost. This can lead to the cycle of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

If we can jump to acceptance of the current situation, then we can move on with our lives.

Earlier this week, on our regular global mastermind call, we discussed how to take care of ourselves while we’re confined to quarters. Here are some of those tips.

https://www.smewealthbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/phil_nl_chart_04_02.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Figure 58.1 Tips for Taking Care of Yourself 

1. Relationships

We are connecting with our mastermind group on a weekly basis. This includes people from Australian, Canada, Ireland, Spain, and the United States. We share personal and business updates, ask for advice, and share tips on how to use technology to help others.

One of our members, Dan Weedin, hosts a weekly sports trivia challenge on Facebook and also hosts a virtual happy hour on Friday evening.

My daughters are regularly Face Timing with their young cousin, Blake, whose energy and enthusiasm is greater than any pandemic.

2. Fun

Board games are making a big comeback!

Participating in activities with other people—instead of with our phones—is helping us to discover the joys of play.

We are enjoying family game nights and movie nights on a regular basis. It’s clear to me that as my daughters get older and wiser, they are better card players than I am, as they were taught by their Grampa.

3. Health

The current situation is also being called the “carbo virus” because of our increased consumption of comfort food. In our house, we’re enjoying unprecedented volumes of potato chips and Oh Henry chocolate.

However, I’m also going to bed and getting up earlier after a good eight hours of sleep. Now that the snow is gone, I’ve started running outside again. I’ve managed to hide a couple of dumbbells in the living room to do some workouts. This weekend, I’ll install my rings in the garage ceiling to expand my gym.

4. Learn

As a perpetual learner, having some extra time has opened up all sorts of opportunities to exercise my curiosity.

In addition to the usual business learning, my favorite learning is about scientific, creative, and artistic pursuits. 

One of the best investments (I have no financial interest) is Masterclass.com. They have a wide variety of short courses put on by experts in all sorts of areas, from cooking, video and film making, to acting, tennis, and writing. My two favorites are Chris Hadfield, the Canadian astronaut and former commander of the International Space Station, and the famous photographer, Annie Leibovitz.

Here is the link to the full newsletter.

What are you doing to take care of yourself, your family, and your clients?

Comments

• edited April 2020

I'm an extrovert, so I need the social. I've carved out time for several social gatherings. This weekend, we were supposed to all be in Walla Walla for my daughter's 30th birthday (by the way, that is my youngest daughter so I will have no kids under 30 in a few days!). My wife Barb came up with a great idea. We bought some Walla Walla wine from my client and have found corresponding wine tastings on the winery websites. Kelli doesn't know it yet, but we will b moving Walla Walla to our home on Saturday and including our neighbors as part of the festivities.

I bring this up to say that I'm using innovation and creativity to stay mentally healthy. I'm walking the dogs daily. My gym got used as a staging area for the past week as I've done a re-shuffling of the deck in my office, but I will be back at it tomorrow.

I'm about fun. We still binge watch our favorite shows. We still are engaging with family and friends...in fact maybe even more. Like our businesses, we also need to innovate and create on a personal level to stay healthy.

• I have measurably better attitude and energy on the days when I exercise, I have worked hard to maintain those routines. My trainer comes to my driveway a few times per week at a safe distance to train my wife and I. And on other days, I'm doing pull-ups or other things in my garage. I've also got a homemade balance board that is fun and challenging and core exercise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bph6KlGUZXI

Long walks with the dogs - and noticing so much more of the growth and nature and plantings around me this spring than ever before.

And also lots of "play" -- puzzles, games, and just silliness in the yard with my kids. These are often the highlights of my days in quarantine.

• Erik,

The board looks like fun.

As your client, I hope you're wearing a helmet when you're on the board. We all need your brain!

• I do miss my gym. I was an early 4 am gym attendee working out for 1.5 hours/day. The stay at home orders have dramatically altered my routine. I am now going for an early morning brisk walk along the Portland water front. There are very few people out at sunrise. Doing my pushup and elastic bands to maintain little of what I had before.

Reading is one of my passions and I am reading more and writing more for my blog. This keeps the mind stimulated.

I have discovered a new restaurant in Portland. It's called the kitchen. I am back to cooking and enjoying it, but I don't think this restaurant is going to be in business longterm. The cooking challenges with Dan are fun.

The social distancing has created the biggest challenge for me. Lucky for me that my clients are essential services and I am still seeing them but it's not enough. I miss hanging out at my favorite restaurant where I had a seat at the chefs counter with my name on it. This restaurant will not reopen after this'll ends.

Yeah at my age I don't need any more injuries from trying Erik's balancing board.

• Gary,

Can you purchase your seat from your former favourite restaurant?

• I miss tennis.

Working out is boring and zero energising for me, although I should be doing it.

I never find time to do so, and I keep procrastinating no matter which app I use :)

In relationships, I keep meeting my friends weekly with a beer in my hand.

• Oriol,

I think I see your problem...working out with weights is better than working out with an app. An app doesn't weigh very much ;)

Are there any tennis specific exercises that might hold your attention long enough for you to get a workout?

Are there any tennis pros that have their non-tennis workouts posted online?

• I need to interact with people, however, I do need my down time. I learn a lot from interactions and other behaviors.

The best balance for me is: walking 60 mins/day, sleeping 7 hours/night, a great bottle of wine every week or so.

100 dives/year - haven't been hitting this number the past few years.

Making dinner with Sara. And visiting at least 2 new places/counties per year.

Learning of choice is the Financial Times and The Economist.