Welcome to the Global Business Advisors Forums where business leaders, owners, and advisors can interact, share ideas, celebrate successes, and build a global community of growth oriented entrepreneurs!

To join, you must apply and qualify for membership and agree to abide by our rules. A one time membership fee of $495 USD may apply. Please register and provide your contact information so we may speak to determine if this community is a good fit for you, your business, and our group.

As an SME business leader, owner, or advisor, thank you for driving one half of the gross domestic product in the top 17 countries around the world (according to the World Bank). We need you now more than ever!

I wish you much entrepreneurial success.

Phil Symchych
Founder
Global Business Advisors Forums
Please add your photo to your profile. Click on the far top right image (a circle with two dots), then select to Edit Profile, and Change My Picture.
Please be kind to others. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be respectful. We are here to learn and share.

The Six Cs of Business Crisis Management

“Never waste a good crisis.”

–attributed to Anne Harbison, Machiavelli, and others

It is very weird driving anywhere during this Covid-19 crisis and seeing many businesses closed. This reminds me of growing up in a small town when Sunday was for church, visiting family, and great dinners (the Sunday dinners is a tradition we’ve continued). Otherwise, everything was closed on Sunday.

Whether your business is deemed essential or discretionary, you have value to offer to your customers and clients. As fewer people are out conducting their regular business, both types of businesses need specific strategies and tactics to protect themselves in the short-term. Both need to be prepared to get up to speed quickly when things return to normal, or a new normal, which they eventually will.

Operating in a crisis is similar to operating in a turnaround situation. From my experience helping companies get back on their feet after management made bad decisions or customer failure forced hardship on them, I’ve put together this six-point plan. I call it the Six Cs of Crisis Management.

The Six Cs of Business Crisis Management

Figure 57.1 Six Cs of Business Crisis Management

https://www.smewealthbuilder.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/phil_2020_04_01.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Cash

• Repeat after me: “Cash isn't king, it's the ace!"
  • Ever since I can remember, financial planners have been advising their personal clients to have three to six months of operating expenses as readily available cash. This is much tougher for many businesses, especially if you are (or were) in a high growth mode. But the logic and wisdom apply.

Customers

According to Peter Drucker, the father of management consulting, the purpose of a business is to serve its customer.

All customers are not created equally. The customer that grinds you on price and then takes forever to pay you is much better off with your competitor than with you.

Rank your customers into “A, B, C, or D” categories by assessing their profitability, pleasure to deal with, referrals, and lifetime value. Be highly proactive with your A and B customers. Raise prices and implement stricter terms with C customers. D customers can’t stay; they’re not worth it.

Capacity

A manufacturing company will have high variable costs related to production, such as direct labor and raw materials. The overheads still need to be paid regardless how busy or idle the plant is on any day.

Many other businesses, such as service businesses, have very high fixed overheads as they must pay most people whether they are productive or not.

The key for any type of business is to maximize your utilization of your existing people, equipment, and assets.

Creativity

Our survival as a species is based on our ability to adapt, according to Darwin. When we can’t do things the way we did before, we need to innovate. There is no time like the present to pivot and develop new business models, new offerings, and new products and services.

Culture

Culture is about the behaviours, and the beliefs behind those behaviours, that your employees exemplify at work. Usually, culture is based on the founder’s values, however positive or negative they may be.

People will pursue rewards and avoid punishment.

• How would you describe your culture?
  • How are your leaders encouraging behaviour that aligns with your strategy and positive values?

Communication

Whenever I speak with any manager or employee, they will eventually offer up that the number one problem with leadership is communication. Either there is too much information (rarely) or not enough information (99% of the time).

I always say that you can’t hold someone accountable for something unless they have the information and resources needed to perform their jobs. What information do your employees—and leaders—need to do their jobs effectively?

It’s also very common for many business owners to be reluctant to disclose financial information with employees. What ends up happening is that the employees over-estimate the business performance and profitability and end up not trying as hard at work. Sharing financial information and teaching others how to use it will have very significant benefits on business performance.

In fact, the best performing companies that I’ve worked with share financial information and have specific budget targets such as gross profit and EBITDA that effectively align decision making and actions with business goals.

Communication increases alignment, it enhances culture, and improves overall business performance.

What are your crisis management best practices?

Here is a link to the original article.

Comments

• edited May 2020

Phil - Great article!

I've included my key points from my July 2019 Newsletter " Why Waste a Perfectly Good Recession?"

Invest, invest, invest!

• In training and development, shore up any existing gaps to skills and core competences.

• Hire for any gaps in skills and core competencies you can’t develop. They might be at a bargain.

• Double down on improvements to:

-Inventory velocity. Always remember, Inventory Is Evil!™. Why? Because, it hides and delays problem resolution. There is no better time to challenge conventional wisdom on inventory levels than during a recession.

-Challenge and reduce current lead-times from suppliers and deliveries to customers.

-Rationalize the supply and customer base. Remember my Rule of 1% = 50%

-Address scrap, first pass yield, internal and external PPM quality shortcomings. • Complete any maintenance that has been delayed. • Expand capacity through change over reduction, first pass yield improvements, machinery additions and business acquisitions. Lastly, instead of squeezing the vendor for price reductions, take the opportunity to build partnerships with both suppliers and customers that will jointly reduce the total cost of ownership, Art Koch’s Profit Chain®.

Art Koch's Profit Chain® Series - Why Waste a Perfectly Good Recession? Volume 2 | Number 7 | July 2019

• Great article!

Maybe we should have a Board for articles and IP. Let me know what you think.

• I think we do need a separate board for this. Will help in keeping track of the great Ip of the group.

• I've set up a separate Board for posting and sharing our IP. It's in the CEO/Business Owner section of the Forums here. This will increase exposure to all members and enable them to share with others to help you build your brands.

Let me know if you have any feedback or special requests.